Friday, February 26, 2010

Let's Dance...

The moment has finally arrived. The night of the much-anticipated "Daddy Daughter Dance" is upon us.

"I can't believe my baaaaaby is big enough to go to a big girl dance!"

"Oh MOM-meee!! I am not a BAAaby! I am SO BIG. I'm 4 and a HALF." Bounce, bounce. Giggle, giggle.

"I know, I know. And I am so glad you're getting older, because only big girls can stand still enough to get curls put in their hair! And look how pretty they look!" (deftly avoiding her earlobes with piping-hot curling iron as she does everything BUT hold still...)

Much squealing. Many giggles. Hair spray floated everywhere, coating her in a familiar scent, but not one that I have ever associated with Corinne... Chapstick and oh-so-light, sparkly pink eyeshadow were applied for that special extra touch and she was absolutely glowing and ready to dance the night away.

"Now come over here, baby-girl. I need to take your picture on the piano bench. Do you know that before every single dance that your Mommy went to, she sat on her piano bench for pictures? Even on my wedding day, I sat on the piano bench in my fancy dress. And now you're going to a dance and sitting on the bench in your fancy dress...." (Yes. I was getting teary-eyed at this point)

Then they posed together; she in her pink flowers and curls, he in his blue shirt and tie. My tiny little "big" girl and her gentle giant of a daddy. And then her hand was in his and she skipped out the door into the night and straight to their grand ball at the local school gym.

And I am left to wonder at how I am here... How did I reach this point? This moment where we are at the beginning of it all... I am left to imagine the dances and dates and proms and wedding and, and... And my heart just clutches up a bit and my eyes just can't stay dry.

She looked so, so beautiful. SO incredibly sparkly and gorgeous. Her eyes were lit up for only Patrick and her happiness was so genuinely complete.

I cannot wait to see the pictures of their fun and hope that this First Experience remains with Corinne forever. I know it will remain with me.

23 comments:

Gucci Mama said...

Now I'm a little teary too. I hope she has a magical evening!

Sarah RDH said...

Awww this is so sweet! And in a few short years, her eyes will light up for the handsome boy that takes her to a dance! *hugs* I think about the day my son will get married all the time, and how I'll be dancing with my grown-up little man...It makes me cry to think about too! I hope they had a great time!

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

Aww! I've got a tear in my eye. Pat must be so proud.

Mom24 said...

That's so beautiful Tracey. I hope they have a wonderful night.

CaraBee said...

So sweet! What a wonderful experience for Corinne and her daddy. Those father-daughter things get me right here (points to chest).

Stacia said...

Curls, sparkly eyeshadow, piano bench poses, and a night dancing with Daddy ... What an adventure! Hope she has a wonderful time (and Daddy, too). =>

Daisygirl said...

ahhh, how sweet! I can totally tell how proud you are! I hope you post some pics of this happy event!

The Redhead Riter said...

She won't ever forget the experience and neither will you. My daughter is almost seventeen and she remembers dancing with her daddy at age 3 in a tutu that she hated because it was "scratchy" LOL

*~(boom)~* said...

Oh God...they grow up???? ;)

I will admit to tearing up a bit while reading this. Ok. A lot. I had to blow my nose. Before I popped one out, I would have read this and told you it was beautiful, but I wouldn't have understood.

Now I do.

So beautiful.

Unknown said...

Awww. That's the sweetest post.

mep said...

Promise to post those pictures as soon as you can, okay? This post makes me so excited that I'm having a baby girl!

Me said...

My heart is in my throat and my eyes are watering for you! I don't want to think of all that FUTURE stuff! Lets just keep them little for a tiny bit longer??!

Shannon said...

I hope she had the BEST dance ever! So sweet. :)

Manic Mommy said...

Oh, I love this! I would have been a mess! I would have loved to see my husband with a daughter. Just seeing him with my sons breaks my heart. But girls and daddies...

You must post some pictures!

Kristin said...

what a milestone! Do they ever have mommy son dances? Probably not. Trying not to be jealous.

Joy said...

Oh! How beautiful, and bittersweet at the same time... I am sure she'll have a wonderful time. :)

Lori said...

Oh Tracey, you write so beautifully about this wonderful event in your daughter's and your husband's life! I have tears in my eyes just reading about it. I know so well how excited she was - seems like it was just the other day that my daughter was finally old enough (5) to go to our town's Daddy-Daughter Dance. A few weeks ago she and my husband went to their 8th and final dance - she is now 12 and that is the top age limit for this particular dance. Every year it has been the highlight of her year (and his!). She is so sad, he is sad, and I am sad that they can no longer do this because she is too old. (How did this happen - like I said, she was 5 just the other day!!!) Time flies, and this will be a wonderful tradition for Corinne and her dad, but - warning - it will be over in the blink of an eye. Even tho my daughter and her dad can no longer go to this particular dance, they will definitely continue having a very special "date with daddy" every February. For as many years as they can......

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Well, GEEZ Lori! Thanks a lot. ;)

E... said...

Oh, can't wait for my baby girl to go to one of these. Thanks for the idea of taking the photos in the same spot for all the "big" stuff. So special.

Kat said...

Awww. I'm all choked up.
*sniff, sniff*

Tonya said...

um where are the pictures of her on the piano bench??? must. see. cute. curls!

Ouidad Blog said...

I wish they'd had these dances when we were little girls. I think the first time I really danced with my father was at my wedding. It was so sweet ... but way too late!
-Deb

jamietate said...

check out www.daddyletsdance.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails