Thursday, December 08, 2011

All I've got for titles are Christmas song lyrics....

Still here! I'm definitely feeling the joy of Christmas but also feeling the pressure of lots of irons in the oven, too. That is how the saying goes, right? "Irons in the oven?" I wonder how old that one is. I mean, obviously, it's from the smithy days, but really, didn't they ALWAYS have more than one iron in the oven? It seems like a bit of a waste of valuable fuel to heat a fire up to hot enough to make metal soft to just heat ONE iron at a time...

I digress.

What with all this ironing and such, I haven't felt the call of the blog very much these past few weeks. Well, that's a lie. I've FELT the call, but I've always been pretty occupied with trying to keep the upstairs hallway clear of laundry (and failing) and stressing over the idea of doing a One Day Christmas Shopping Marathon for the first time in my LIFE. It's starting to freak me out a bit. We'll see if I spend more or less in the long run. Pat's betting on less, but I'm wondering if it will mean I may make last-minute changes to "The Plan" simply because I want to make sure that everyone we love gets properly represented (yo) on Christmas. This is where shopping with cash/debit is valuable. I can't spend what I don't have, right?

Shoot, I'm just happy that the Christmas tree lights have stayed lit for an entire day seeing as how I've had to fix them not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES. It's like a festive lottery when I walk into the living room: will the tree be bright and cheerful or a darkened shadow of Christmas Yet To Come? Much swearing, a few tears and several threats of having a "lightless Christmas" were thrown about, but, thanks to my sweat and blood, we currently own a LIT and freshly cut Christmas tree (from the best tree farm in Chicagoland. Trust me. I've shopped around a LOT). The ornaments may be all jumbled from the jabbing of my arms into the branches to untangle unlit lights and the beads may be completely skewed from the shoving and pulling of said tree from the corner to the middle of the room and back again and again and again, but damnit!!! It's our tree. And the kids said it's beautiful. And we can AFFORD a tree and are privileged enough to have a family to celebrate Christmas around it with.

And that's all I could ever ask for.

Well, what do you know? I wrote a post. Heh. Completely unintentional, especially since I'm supposed to be starting my "online browsing" portion of the shopping program...

12 comments:

Brandie said...

Good luck with the doing it all in one day shopping!
And yeah for working lights.
Hang in there. This season will pass ... just don't remember it comes back again ever single year! LOL!

Melisa Wells said...

Ahem, it's "irons in the fire". That's how Laura Ingalls' momma had to iron. But we know what you mean. :)

I'm glad that you're ironing one of those things with me. We'll get through!

Tonya said...

you'll have to let us know if you do spend less. Because I think when you shop randomly you can really tell how much you do spend?! I'm not that organized anyway!

Mark said...

Sometimes, Posts just happen.
m.

Carrie - Cannibalistic Nerd said...

In our house, in the modern age, and since we don't use our iron, it's "Too many clothes in the dryer."

nmaha said...

Wow! you really put a lot of effort into the holidays and manage to blog. I am impressed.
Merry Christmas in advance to all :-)

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...

yay! you wrote a post!

I so hear you on "hearing the call of the blog" but being too much all over the place to sit and write - I have felt like that for the past few months, with occasional respites... one of them right around now it seems but only thanks to the gift guides, which I love so much :-)

Happy holidays babe! xoxo

Digger said...

Hi. I've been reading through your site for the past 20 minutes and love everything about it!! I'm fairly new to the blog world, but if you have a minute and want to check it out, I'd appreciate it. But I do love your site and will definitely be back to finish my reading! :)

Digger
www.digdeeperdesign.blogspot.com

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I've been shopping in bits here and there but I think a big one day buy for me might help me just get it over with- not sure if I'd spend more or less!

Steph

Katrina said...

Hi there! I'm a new follower. I saw your interview on Mommy Page :)

It's very hard to keep blogs up to date! I have no idea how busy moms post every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day! I try to post at least 3 times a week, but sometimes...well, life just happens. I get "bloggers block" a lot, and instead of just writing whatever... I will wait until I feel inspired to share something good. Or at least something good to me, because sometimes I just write for my own record keeping ;)

won said...

Tis the season...right?!

I wish for peaceful days filled with love and all that makes you happy this season, Tracey. (And maybe a rest, too!)

AiringMyLaundry said...

Ack, yeah, I'm pretty stressed. I didn't even write a new blog today because yesterday I was puking. Not fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails